SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

? about guinea hen keets establishing 'home'

We have guinea hen keets and I'm trying to find out how long it takes them to establish "home" so they can be set free to roam. I've searched the internet and the forum but haven't found much info. My local seller said a few days, and one internet site (the only one with info) said 6 weeks. Big difference! I don't want to set them free too soon and watch them fly fly fly away.

These keets are 5 weeks old and were brought here at about 2 days old. They started in our house but weren't handled much. Our chickens are juveniles and range free in the yard. With our very hot weather up here we began putting the guinea keets inside the coop run area (door shut) while the chickens were outside roaming. We did this for several days. The chickens and guineas saw each other through the cage wire and then the keets were put back inside our house before the chickens retired to the coop. Now the chicken and the guineas are both in the coop. The chickens are alpha now, but do not bother the guineas. The guineas just seem very skittish around the chickens. That has made things easy because each morning the chickens crowd the door to be let out while the guineas crowd the back to stay away. I easily let the chickens only out of the enclosed coop, allow them to leave the coop run, and then am able to let the guineas out of the enclosed coop to stay locked up in the coop run. At evening I have to catch all the guineas and manually put them in the enclosed coop. Then the chickens can enter the coop run, followed by the enclosed coop.

(Is there a technical term for the enclosed area of the coop?!)

So, the chickens and guineas peacefully cohabit in the coop now. The guineas have been out there for 10 days.

When will the guineas be old enough to be set free? If they are old enough now, how long before they have established our area as "home" and can be set free?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)