SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdclark707

Something's wrong with my goose

cdclark707
14 years ago

I thought I posted this last night, but can't find it, so here we go again... :-)

I have a 20-year-old goose who has been in excellent health his whole life and acts like he's still a kid. He climbs up on his water bucket and perches on the rim to look in the window at me, for example.

However... we've had temps close to 100 for the last several weeks (I'm in Hattiesburg, Mississippi) and although he's been shedding some feathers, I'm wondering if the heat is taking its toll on him. I make sure he has fresh drinking water and he has an above-ground pool that he swims in occasionally.

The problem is that for the last couple of days, he's not himself -- he doesn't honk back when I honk at him, he doesn't come up to the fence and poke his head through, and yesterday, when I captured him to check him out, he didn't try to nibble on me like he usually does when I pet his chest (he just stood there). I felt him all over and he didn't react until I lifted a wing and felt his body under the wing, then he made a not-so-happy noise. Same thing when I felt under the other wing. When I picked him up, same noise.

So... is it the heat or something else? Any ideas? He's safe from other critters, so it's not that. I'm organic, so no pesticides anywhere. Only new variable is the heat. He's still eating and drinking water.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carol

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County