SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Building Dream Coop...

Cena
17 years ago

I know this question gets asked about every four months... but really, I am LOOKING for input.

We are in a building frenzy. The new fence went up, the old fence went down today. I 'thought' the arbor would be demolished and tomorrow would see the inputting of a permanent chicken coop.

So, the pertinant facts are that I can't house more than 12 birds because of my proximity to central down town. No roos, but I can have four turkey hens, geese, guineas, or ducks, ALONG with my 12 hens... (Lord, these people have lost any sense they had. They think roos' are loud? Well, guines eventually Do Grow Up and Quiet.)

I can have upto 24 actual livestock animals, on the approved list, and rabbits are quiet, right? ;)

So, We are moving the six hens from a tracktor set up to a permanant coop, person height, with a swinging door

~Hardware cloth, square wire mesh, rather than any chicken wire. (Nope, not a drop of trouble with the CW, but I remember the LAST time I asked for an over view of my tractor, and all the helpful advice I got against just CW.)

~Roosts, which the poor girls didn't really have in the tractor.

~Slanted concrete floor

~Slanted plywood roof, with Passiflora vine already ready to install for shade and greenery eating. A fast grower, so should fill the bill on both counts.

~The compost heap is mere feet away, another reason for the site.

~I will likely never have more than the six birds, but I could see perhaps 8 in my future.

~I have no need of insulation, lights, fans, or electic anything in the coop.

~I don't supplement light, I deal with lower yeilds due to lower light.

~Likely will NEVER have chicks to deal with, but one never knows what deal may drop in ones lap. (I did drive 900 miles one way with four hens in a quinea pig cage...) Did I mention my Mother is a Gentleman Farmer who supplied my orginal first hens?

I've been keeping birds for a year now, no bad things have happened, but Thank Heavens Above for Ms. Velvet Sparrow and her words of Wisdom. I have Chix First Aid. I am not advocating, just giving due to someone who has been instrumental with my becoming comfortable and easy with my birds.

So, please chime in on what you would 'redo' or definately put into your dream coop.

We are demo-ing tomorrow, to clear the area of an unused lathe/post tool port that is weed and bug infested. We have bush trimmers and chain saws.

Thanks for ANY input or ideas. I need all the help I can get. I will be looking at the Mother Earth tractors again, for ideas I want to incorporate.

We have foxes and o'possums but no racoons. Dogs and cats, but likely nothing else.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County