SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

#$&%@ Critters!!

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

This is my first year with a greatly expanded veggie garden. It's also my first year growing cucumbers, and I woke up this morning to some animal having dug in one of the 2 raised beds I have and they decimated most of my cucumber plants. I had 7 growing and there were only 2 left undisturbed and of the 5 that got dug up, I could only recover 2. I replanted them but I've been reading what all of you have to say about cucumbers not liking to be disturbed and I can't think of anything that could be more disturbing than having them dug up and laying there for who knows how long before I discovered them! Whatever it was also dug out one of my hot pepper seedlings from a pot. I replanted that as well so we'll see what recovers. I had parsley seeds planted at the front of the cukes and those were just torn to shreds too. The other side had cilantro and those weren't touched and if I had to pick one to save it would have been the cilantro so I guess I should be thankful for that.

But boy is it frustrating! I've been babying all my seedlings in the house and we went to all the trouble and expense of building beds and filling them and in literally a few minutes it's all destroyed!! I guess I can just go buy some more plants, but I was growing a specialty pickling variety and I doubt I'll find it again. Is it too late to plant new seeds btw? I could do that as well.

I am also growing eggplant for the first time and went and checked them after reading the flea beetle thread and sure enough, I have them!! It's amazing how insects find their favorite plants! I only found a couple and squished them, but my plants are pretty small still. They're a mini eggplant variety and I have no idea how big they'll get

I guess I better get used to this stuff but boy I am hopping mad!!

Maybe I need to put down wire mesh to keep things from digging. If anything touches my pole beans, which are in the raised bed next door to the cukes, I'm really gonna snap!!!

Lisa

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm