SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_ingenue

culling roo's

chicken_ingenue
17 years ago

I don't know if ya'll can answer this question because It might go more to opinion or personal preference.

A friend stopped by today and the conversation of course turned to my hens. Which she remembers havings some when she was a girl. I don't know how we got on this subject but she stated emphatically that you do not eat roosters of any kind, That you Would NEVER cull a rooster. My opinion is that if you are raising them in the back yard you more then likely would not eat them. But that the people processing 100's of pounds of chicken for restaurants and such do not care one way or the other if they are processing a male or female chicken. She said when you go to kentucky fried chicken you don't order rooster legs LOL I said thats because you don't order a hen either you order chicken which covers both sexes. I said what do you think happens with all the hatched roo's you can't keep them all she said god meaning nature automatically sorts that out. I guess she is under the impression that more hens are born then roo's I don't know about that. since the back yard birds hatched around here, in this area, seem to be mostly roo's.

She also thinks that we don't eat bull. that they only process cows. I don't think thats right either. I just can't see that a big company that are processing all this hamburger care whether they are processing males or females. she said you would need to keep the males for breeding I said if 20 females calved and they had 10 of each sex, a small rancher can't keep 10 males you have to seperate them she said they would sell them off and I said yes some but in an areas such as we are in their wouldn't be a big enough market for them. lots of these bulls are being sent to slaughter houses. what else would you do with them.

so what do ya'll think. I haven't done any research on this and know next to nothing this is just my opinion. I welcome all opinions.

CI

Comments (16)