SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmulberry

Mysterious intermittent wilt

greenmulberry
16 years ago

My tomatoes and cucumbers, after a good strong start, are doing this weired thing were occasionally one plant out of the bunch severely wilts. Sometimes it is the whole plant, sometimes part of the plant, but the wilt is so bad that affected parts look as if they had been cut from that plant the day before. You know, totally soft and droopy. Usually the plant perks right back up in a day or two, I had one tomato that took a while to come back and it just doesn't look as "vivacious" as it could, but it not wilting anymore. I noticed one of cucumbers having this yesterday and it is just so bad I will be shocked if it recovers, but I have hope.

I have two theories, one is that this is because I have some big walnut trees near, and I have just discovered that is a no no. Alas, there is no where to move the garden too that is away from the walnuts, this is the farthest location and the only spot to get full sun, so I will plant my tomatoes in containers next year. However, I read that cucumbers are one veggie not affected by walnut root toxins, and it is happening to the cucs too!

Second theory. I am seeing some kind of tunneling varmint trails around the affected plants sometimes. Could there be a critter chewing up the roots?? This would explain why they seem to recover, especially when I give them a good water, but even once the wilt evidence is gone, the plant doesn't look at strong as it once did.

Other details, we have been having plenty of rain, and I have soaker hoses for the occasional short dry spell we had. This is a brand new garden spot, I haven't tested my soil but I have lovely soft fluffy dark soil that hold moisture nicely, that I top dressed with a bit of finished compost and some layers of plain cardboard to stop any weeds, (works fabulous for weed control BTW).

I am really saddened to see my plants in this shape. I missed out on having a garden last year due to moving, and I have never in my life had these types of troubles growing tomatoes and cucumbers! Usually they love our Iowa weather and soil. *snif*

On another note, herbs and squashes seem to be thriving, and I think my tomatillo plants are on steroids or something they are so vigorous.

*help*

Laura

Comments (7)