SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smiles317_gw

Praying mantis and bug prevention

smiles317
15 years ago

My small veggie garden was named the "miracle garden" by several of my friends who are long time gardeners. I am an extreme newbie and have had success largely due to research and this forum. My plants are flourishing in my fresh soil which is a 50/50 mushroom mix.

Last night while doing my daily check up on my veggies I saw a baby praying mantis on my green beans. After looking further I found 2 more, and another one on my deck (which I moved into my garden so my dogs didn't decide to snack on it). I have a feeling a mother dropped her egg sac somewhere in the vicinity of my back yard so god only knows how many I really have.

After a cabbage worm issue I started using some kind of powder pesticide stuff deciding that cabbage worms were not that tasty (not sevin...something else). I just did one application and am trying to limit my usage of it, but I really should apply more. I can't rely just on my new praying friends to handle any and all bugs that decide to take up residence in my miracle garden...or even depend on them staying around, but at the same time I don't want to put more powder on the plants and risk hurting the Mantis. My theory is, if this pesticide hurts pests....it probably hurts good bugs also. Am I wrong? I never though I would be giving insects this much thought....I guess it is the Buddhist in me :) Please help with my dilemma!

What should I do???

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living