SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Cheapest terracotta

Phildeez
12 years ago

I searched high and low for cheap, large terracotta pots for this season. Most places were $20 to $50 for 5ish gallon size pots necessary for successful vegetables! That is just insane to me.

Anyone else having this problem may want to check out IKEA, I was surprised to find them there when I went rug shopping! $5.99 for brand new terracotta pots, 5-7 gallons, haven't measured yet.

Comments (9)

• Mandyvilla
    12 years ago

Have you checked Walmart (in person)? I was blown away by their pricing. I am a reluctant fan of Walmart, I am constantly finding they are priced lower than almost anyone else.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did check Walmart, and, at least where I live, the terracotta remained extremely expensive. I was just at my local garden/hardware and it was literally $40 each for the same 5-gal terracotta, made by a different brand of course.

Walmart was great for DIY plastic containers, but not terracotta, IME. And plastice does not quite cut it in the heat of summer, where I live.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Do you have any mom and pop garden centers in your area? I used to work at one in the 80's. Those prices seem awfully high!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

There are different manufacturing processes for terracotta pots. The method used is the primary factor in the cost. This link has a good explanation. The good news is that even the cheapies can last for years if properly maintained.

No ideas where you might want to shop, but at least you can know more about determining if you're getting what you pay for.

• KatyaKatya
    12 years ago

Walmart has cheap pots seasonally! I still haven't figured out the pattern because I am not container gardening but anyway.

• Tuchina
    12 years ago

Try thrift stores that sell household goods and not just clothes. With patience and several trips to my local thrift stores, I've found a good number of terracotta pots.

• Ken Miles
    3 years ago

Terrachi Clay provides cheap terracotta pots at wholesale prices. You might want to have a look at them.

• Gawdinfever Z6
    3 years ago

I scored some on CL with someone cleaning out their shed. Another unusual place I picked some up, was Michael's Arts and Crafts. Michael's weren't huge, but very reasonably priced. I used the smaller ones for growing indoors because they dry out faster.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County