SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lfrj_gw

Fighting Goslings

lfrj
17 years ago

Greetings. We have 4 African goslings, 2 M, 2 F, hatched around May 20 so nearing 2 weeks. Brooder box is 2' X 3'.

Our initial plans were for a single pair, but the couple left behind apparently needed a good home and we figured in the long term, the gaggle would be safer and do better as a larger flock, so the last 2 were adopted and added 3 days ago. Within the last 24 hrs, horrible fights (seemingly to us) have broken out between the males, though in the skirmish, a female will take opportunity to get in on the action. Looks like some taunting begins at the posterior, escalating until one or the other clamps down hard on his opponentÂs neck. It's been difficult to observe a complete match as they settle down right away when one of we adults approach. Both males are large and healthy, but one of them has been getting pretty clobbered and hasn't much fuzz left on the neck. No bleeding, tho).

I realize birds need to establish an order, which is hard to watch sometimes with the chickens, but gosh! These guys are only 2 weeks! My instinct tells me that this is common behavior and will settle down soon after rank and order has been established, we've tried to look away the last 24 hours. However, could this be a space issue? I'd have thought 6 sq ft would be ample, at least for the first week or so. Is this possibly because there is no adult supervision? Or do I have a trouble maker on my hands that needs to be pulled?

My options seem to be, A) pull one couple & brood separately, reintroduce when they're a little older and establishing order is bit more decisive. (may help if this is a space issue). B) Cull one of the males raise the remainder as a trio (in this case, which male?) C) Let the situation run its course and hope the subordinate male turns out okay.

Suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks

Comments (7)