SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkevin

My frugal methods :)

farmerkevin
10 years ago

Where do I start???

My biggest expense was the rain catchment system. It was about $800. But it allows me to water my yard without the cost of city water.

I save up all my pots when I buy a tree or plant. The nursery I buy my trees from, buy back the 15 gallon pots. I've saved and sold them all back, enough to pay for a couple trees.

I mulch. I mulched last summer but didn't put much importance into it until the drought hit.

Drip irrigation. Goes hand in had with my rainwater catchment system. It delivers water to the roots, and under the mulch so that the sun doesn't evaporate the water.

I save seeds. ALL seeds. I grow non GMO heirloom organic veggies. Everything gets saved.

I buy the smaller plants and trees, an usually can get the price knocked off $10 or so. It just takes a tiny bit longer to mature.

I've also traded plants, asked for cuttings, and propagated my own (prickly pear cactus, dragonfruit, and my aloe Vera started off as a volunteer in a pot with its momma at the nursery.)

I compost. Yard waste goes into the compost bin. Between mulching and weed pulling, I haven't had to mow my yard in 2.5 years. While I still have weeds, I just spend a weekend pulling them and here and there during the week. They're not totally under control, but better than the 2' tall weeds of when I first moved in.

Think of all the oddball stuff to compost. Newspaper, non glossy junk mail, non shiny egg cartons, any paper products.

I plant selectively. Everything I have planted is edible in some way or medicinal. I have a few succulents, a crepe myrtle, bougainvillea, etc that isn't edible. Those will be pulled and replaced when I find suitable replacements.

I go to the library and get books to see how to propagate what plants and when. Most books I've found at the library in the book store $0.25-$0.50 each :)

What I want to start doing is square foot gardening.

Oh and check craigslist free section for plants or garden supplies.

I also replace the handles on my tools rather than replace the whole tool. My shovel is on its third handle ($11 for handle versus $25 for new shovel) because I dug out a couple dozen giant yuccas and broke a handle or 2 lol. Same with my axe. It's on its third handle. Because of the yuccas also.

There's more, but I gotta go now that the marine layer lifted. Got work to do :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored