SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Probably OT: anyone design containers for holiday/winter season

Marie Tulin
12 years ago

Hi,

Clearly not Landscape Design but....Any of you who live in freezing winters design holiday/winter containers? I love creating them, but am frustrated about getting the materials I use to 'stay put.'

These are not huge urns: classic pedestal 2.5 ft from base to top; interior of bowl is about 12 inches interior at top tapering to 6 " at bottom. Pedestal is hollow where it attaches to bowl's bottom;; I fill it with stones.

I've been using oasis packed into the urns but after playing around and moving branches etc it crumbles. Messy then useless. Even worse after freezing: if its stormy and the materials shift or fall out they can't be reinserted into either frozen or crumbled floral foam.

Sand? Heavy! and doesn't really support heavy branches. Clearly, I don't do this for a living but need to learn how to do it right because I really enjoy it.

If can help me with techniques I'd be grateful; or maybe you can direct me to sources that are explicit and clear. I'm pretty happy with the design results but what frustration getting it to stay together~

Many Thanks,[

Idabean

Comments (10)