SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackbe1

What to plant to deter destructive children

15 years ago

I have a island bed that is a berm where I have planted several choice dwarf conifers and broadleaf evergreens. These are the exceptionally slow growing cultivars that grow painfully slowly such as picea glauca pixie that is only 18 inches in 10 years. One or two of the neighborhood childen in 1st through 3rd grade have made it a habit to break whole branches off or step on the dwarf conifers causing disfiguring damage. In another case, after denuding all the berries all at once (in November 2008 before the birds are eating them), each and every horizontal branch of my deciduous holly was broken off at the point where the branch emananates from the main stem. Since I am not home during the day, I have no way of proving which children are the culprits. I have heard second hand who they may be. I am hesitant to go to their parents because I did not personally see them do the destructive acts, but this is not an isolated instance of vandalism. On a couple ocasions where I did see the children I told their parents, but I have no proof it was the same children committing the recent vandalism. One of the parents does not even want to hear about it. The vandalism has occurred on at least four separate days months apart. Any suggestions would be welcome. The gardens I mention are not easily visible from the house. I was thinking of planting a bed of barberry or thorny roses around my island bed (which of course would make it difficult for me to have access too. A fence would not be attractive in my landscape, but I am considering it. Barrier plant suggestions or other suggestions to help solve or deter the children who are the problem would be most welcome.

Comments (30)