SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tramirez_gw

Free Range Chickens Need Guard Dog

tramirez
14 years ago

I am having some issues at home. I have a lab/border collie mix (Rex) and his cousin border collie/german sheppard mix (Ranger) and Rex is alpha dog. He is the sweetest dog- until he is sure he is unsupervised. The two dogs are on a wireless fence system with their boundary set to include the chicken coop and rabbitry. But, everytime he is sure he is alone, he will kill something- and its purely sport. He attacked the cat this week, a day after killing a chicken, and I'm still not sure if the cat will make it- he is finally eating again- and this is an animal he has curled up with and slept for the last year. We try to let the chickens free range during the day and put them up at night. Rex will go a couple of days- then BAM- kills/attacks something.

I am so frustrated, I had him neutered, hoping he would settle down, didnt work. At this moment their perimeter is set to two. They can walk around the house if they stay real close to it. I need help, I don't want to kill the dog(s) but I cant have them killing everything for fun when he knows what he is doing is wrong. When I get home from where ever I had been, he tucks his tail and runs to hide- I know I have to go and try to find what he has killed/attacked. I have tried the chicken around the neck and it didnt work for Rex. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, TR

Comments (11)