SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodyweaver

Help - baby duck on the pond!

goodyweaver
13 years ago

Hi all. My family rents a house on about 5 acres with a small (15 ft across?) pond. The pond is completely fenced in for children. A few days ago, we noticed that we have a baby duck on the pond - he appears to have his feathers and is preening himself, so from what I've read I'm guessing he's old enough to be exposed to the elements. He appears to be around 5 inches long, maybe 3 inches across? He's constantly swimming around and seems to be trying to eat - I'm assuming bugs? Occasionally gets up on pond plants and sits for a minute, but then is right back in the water swimming around. The first day, he was doing lots of peeping, and I thought he was probably calling for his mother and siblings, but he stopped after several hours. Today is the third day he's been there.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for this little guy! Are ducks this size capable of getting enough food for themselves? Should I try to catch him and feed him indoors? Is he lonely and miserable? Should I try to find another duckling to put on the pond with him? I don't want to make his situation worse if he's perfectly fine - but have no idea how to tell if he's ok.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor