SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Geese of uncertain ancestry

Jonathan
16 years ago

I've been looking for Pilgrim geese, and have had some conversations with a hobbiest breeder. Her geese seem to have some wild feathers in their line, as she keeps winding up with white pilgrim females. One of the good things about pilgrims is that they are easy to sex; the grey ones are always female, the white ones are always male, as I understand it.

So, her clutch hatched a week ago, and she seems to have a number of birds that seem both white or light colored and female. Those are the ones she is willing to part with, likely for $10 a piece (cheap, in this region). She thinks they are female based on their disposition.

There are a lot of good reasons for me to avoid this transaction, but I'm wondering if I should just do it, if a vet confirms that they really are female. I don't plan to breed or show them. They will be pets/lawn mowers, so I think I'm a good candidate for technically poor quality geese, though ideally I'd rather have gray than white. These will be my first geese, and for a variety of reasons, I think it's too soon to spend a lot on show quality geese.

Thoughts? I want females because I have to small children, and geese are less agressive than ganders.

--Jonathan

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996