SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grel4020

Help!...duck viral hepatitis?

grel4020
15 years ago

We've had five of our mallard ducks hatch ducklings this spring... what fun! (We've had mallards on our pond off and on for years and have never before had them hatch ducklings.) I've raised a number of purchased batches of ducklings through the years and commented awhile back that I'd never lost a duckling. But now... we brought three of the ducklings inside that were abandoned or somehow strayed away. They were doing fine and then one by one began to be weak in their legs and for a little while scooted on their stomachs and then died. Another whole batch that looked freshly hatched were left by the hen and were huddled alone in really bad weather so we brought them all in and have been raising them carefully as we've always done. Today they are beginning to do the same as the other three... I isolated three of them that seemed unable to walk well and two are now dead. I am afraid I'll lose this whole batch also and I so hoped to keep them alive since the babies left with the hens are fast disappearing. Checking the web, it sounds a little like viral hepatitis, but have any of you had any experience with this? The hens that hatched all these ducklings did fine when we raised them. Excuse the long post, hope someone has time to read it! Also I'm concerned about our beloved African Grey parrot... would he be susceptible since we've had these ducklings in the house?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County