SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunimrette

wanted: trading usa to canada- postage question

sunimrette
11 years ago

I know this topic has been done before, but apparently some of the policies have changed at the post office. I haven't traded seeds in a few years but when I did I never had trouble sending bubble mailers to Canada. However, when I tried last week the lady at my small local post office acted offended that I was asking to her mail my small bubble mailer to Canada. She said "that isn't an envelope, it is package. Packages need to have customs forms. That has to be done online or through the main post office in (nearby city)" She was very condescending like I should have known this, but silly me assumed that I could do the customs form at my own post office.

So, I went home and tried to do it online. Post office lady had told me that my 1.5oz bubble mailer would have to be mailed as a package, not an envelope, so I tried to print a postage online, but the cheapest option for shipping a small package to canada on the usps website was $27.50! I re-packaged it in a #10 envelope with thin pieces of cardboard and tissue paper for padding and stability... but I really prefer bubble mailers. I took it into town to the main post office and they charged me $1.10 to mail it and did not ask me to fill out a customs form.

Did I miss something? Isn't there a cost-effective way to send bubble mailers to canada? It isn't like it is overseas!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!