SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberely_gw

Ideas for privacy in an unprivate backyard

kimberely
15 years ago

I have a small backyard, about 30' x 40'. It is at a lower elevation than my neighbors behind me, so they can all see everything in my backyard. My backyard has horrid drainage issues with clay soil, so I have a willow tree (only 7' tall) in the right corner (about the only thing that won't drown) and three raised beds - one on each side and one larger in the back middle of my yard. My yard is on the northside of my house, so it gets direct sun all summer and nearly full shade all winter. We have a 6' fence all the way around. I currently have roses in my back planter, but they do nothing to help with privacy as they are not very tall. I was thinking of putting them in pots and planting something a little taller in the bed - something that will hide the neighbors deck that looks directly over the yard. (The planter is about 10' x 3' x 2.5') I would like year round color (at least leaves), a good privacy screen, and it would have to stand up to Columbia Gorge east to west winds.

Ideas would be helpful. I have thought of a butterfly bush or a mock orange but I am really not sure.

pic: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2142086830015290541VUexPm

Comments (13)