SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janandalan

Part Time Wetlands

janandalan
18 years ago

We have areas in the backyard that have an inch or two of standing water for several days after a hard rain. The areas in question are at the lowest points of our property which has a fairly high water-table. (Last summer DH dug a hole to place a post for a birdfeeder and the two foot deep hole filled almost totally with water within a minute or two). At the very rear of our property these "lowlands" are already covered with mature deciduous trees. Between the forest and the house is the area in question which we would like make somewhat useable.

DH wants to truck in fill dirt to fix the problem. He then envisions extending the lawn into this area.

I am arguing that plantings might resolve the issue. I have researched "rain garden" plants and have quite an extensive list of plants that can do well with "wet feet" part of the time and semi-drought conditions at other times. These range from trees (River Birch, Southern Magnolia, Kousa Dogwood)to shrubs (Winterberry Holly, Red Ozier Dogwood, Meadowsweet, Arrowwood Viburnum) to perennials and grasses (Switchgrass, Lobelia, Siberian Iris, Coneflowers, Blackeyed Susans, Hibiscus).

My question is: Will planting these areas actually help soak up the standing water, or will they just become swampy areas containing plants?

Have any of you had experience working with similar sites?

How were you able to resolve the "soggy ground" issues?

(Keep in mind that during dry months of the year these areas are hard carolina clay. It's only after continuous or substantial rainfalls that they tend to puddle).

......Jan

Comments (16)