SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonequacker

Raising a single duck/releasing?? (long)

lonequacker
18 years ago

Hi! I was so glad to find this forum when I was searching for raising a duck, I have enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences & love for their ducks! But I have a question I hope ya'll can answer for me.

My husband decided about a year ago that our daughters must have 2 baby ducks (mallards) for our backyard. We live in a neighborhood, but have a very large backyard & have a large pond with stream/waterfall in it. After a few months, one of the ducks died. We never replaced it. Our other duck (the lone quacker) grew up & has been so much fun to watch! She has really bonded to our beagle, although the dog could care less about her!

Anyway, she built a nest & laid 17 eggs, sat on it for a month (obviously nothing happened). We considered buying some fertile eggs to put under her, but I just couldn't bear to get rid of all the ducks, which was my husbands plan after the babies hatched/were old enough. She has been such a joy, but has "torn up" the pond (killed all the water plants, keeps it really dirty, etc.), so my husband wants to take her to a big pond at a nearby school where there are other ducks. He thinks she will be much happier there & can actually have babies, instead of laying non-fertile eggs & nothing happening. I also noticed last night she was "assuming the position" when the dog was right there. I think she is trying to get the dog to breed her! Yikes! And she has made another nest.......

OK, if you've made it this far, thank you! Here is my question. Are we being unfair by keeping her by herself, even though she "seems" happy & content? Would she adjust to life with wild ducks after being with us for a year? In my heart, I think she should be with other ducks, but she's been a pet for so long, it's hard for me to let go. Does that make sense? So I wanted to pose this question & get everyone's thoughts.

Thank you so much,

Jennifer

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio