SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
praise_girl

Balcony Garden 1st Timer!!

Praise_girl
12 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first year trying to do a balcony garden. I planted squash (yellow and zucchuni). My balcony only gets about 5 hours of direct sunlight...so I was a little worried at first. But my zucchuni is doing so well. The yellow squash is growing at a slower pace though but still growing.

I decided to grow more veggies last week so I planted tomato and green beans. Well.....as some of you know this past week has been the hottest of the year so far. My poor green bean seedling leaves look just sad..I think i'm going to toss them and start over. There is something on the their (green beans) leaves that's white/yellowish...not sure if it's from the sun or not b/c it was so hot Wednesday.

Now my zucchuni is also looking beat from the sun today. Should I put them more in the shady area of the balcony or just keep them where they are...remember I only get 5 hours of direct sun a day. Also a side note, my zucchuni plants started to lean over last week and now some of the leaves are bent from leaning over the container...I bought some stakes and tried to make the plant stand a little straighter so the leave stems wont rest too much on container and start to bent...but what do I do about those already bended leave stems..leave them alone??

Also, when my tomatos get bigger...I will try the topsy turvy thing...I bought last year and never used it. How big do the tomato seedlings have to be before putting them in the turvy thingy??

Sorry if my questions seem silly....but i'm new to all this!!

Comment (1)