SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emorems0

Potatoes, growing roots but no greens???

emorems0
9 years ago

I had pretty much given up on the potatoes I planted several weeks ago figuring that the soil mix was too heavy & stayed too wet getting only afternoon sun... It's been weeks and no sign of any potato plants emerging from the soil. Seed potatoes (organic red potatoes from the grocery store sprouted on my counter), were planted about 6" under the top of the soil mix (combo of top soil, mushroom compost, peat moss, and pine bark mulch). The soil mix was pretty fluffy and light when I put it in, but seemed to become heavier once it was rained on several times and held moisture really long even though it was really well drained (in a chicken wire 'cage' lined with hay).

I just assumed that the seed potatoes were too wet for too long and rotted, so when I dug a little in the soil today and came across a tiny, marble sized red potato about 1 inch under the top of the soil I was really surprised.

I don't get it, how long does it take for the greens to sprout up? Do they really start making more roots like that before shooting up a green sprout???? I feel like something strange is going on here, any ideas/advice?

Comments (15)