SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickstang

Anyone use a power edger for flower beds?

rickstang
13 years ago

I need some advice on edging flower beds. Next year my one bed will be roughly 175' x 30' plus a few smaller beds. In front of my house I use landscaping stones then the side and back of the house I use commercial grade black plastic edging. I'm going to keep those 2 things for around my house, but the beds out in the field I was thinking of buying a power edger. I want the back to be more "natural" looking without any kind of plastic edging so that's why I'm thinking of a power edger to create a nice curved bed.

Not the string trimmer kind with attachments, the nicer $300 ones with 4 wheels and you push. I wish I could afford the $2,000 edgers that I've been watching videos of, but that's way out of my price range. I borrowed my dads $300 Craftsman push edger today. It's pretty nice, but I do have questions for those that use these on a regular basis.

- After edging the flower bed, how often do you have to do it to keep it looking tidy? I live in Ohio so half the year is winter. I was planning on doing it in the spring then again towards fall to keep it looking tidy and crisp. However, I was watching a video and some people say you have to do it in between each mowing. I definitely don't have that kind of time especially since my beds are so large.

- After years and years of edging the same bed, won't you end up loosing all your soil? Meaning each time you edge, doesn't it make the bed 1/2 or so larger?

Sorry if these are such NewB questions, I just want to make sure before I buy one.

Comments (5)