SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runningtrails_gw

next completed project - chicken window

runningtrails
15 years ago

It's done! It's done! Well, almost. I don't have the hinges for the top yet, but that's all that is left to do.

Here's the window I just put in the chicken house. I got four of these windows on Freecycle. ( I love Feecycle!)

{{gwi:37116}}
{{gwi:37117}}

Here's the fencing over the inside. It's nailed with U nails on every other wire. That baby's not coming off!

{{gwi:37118}}

See how much light it gives them. It faces mostly east and a little south. I also moved the roosts closer to the wall. They were going right across the middle of the room, making cleaning and maneuvering in there difficult.

{{gwi:37119}}

Here's what happens when I leave the shredded paper bag open. I got six eggs from there this morning. It's usually tied up tight for safety as much as other concerns. Don't want trapped and smothered chickens but I left it open this morning while I finished the window. They took advantage of the opportunity, silly pixilated gals!

{{gwi:37120}}

Of course, since I built it, it's not completed square. There's a little shim under the right corner, to lift it up even with the frame. When I attach it at the top with hinges it will lift it up a little so it won't matter. I measured carefully and used a level and a square, doesn't matter, never does...

The chickens don't care. Hubby seems to think my inability to make anything square and straight is cute and endearing. Personally, I find it extremely frustrating! I have more or less just given up and accepted the fact that anything I make is going to be a tiny bit crooked.

Comments (9)