SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phantom_white

Dog vaccinations... any alternatives?

phantom_white
16 years ago

Hi Ya'll,

I'm currently attending college to get a degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, or Animal Husbandry. Once I'm finished there I plan on building up my funds and hopefully getting some property in an out-of-the-way area. Its been my dream ever since I was little to have a farm with a bunch of animals, especially dogs. I have one dog now and it costs over 500 dollars a year to keep him up to date on his vaccines. Which brings me to my question: How do you farm owners keep your canines healthy? Do you get ALL the vaccines that the vet suggests, or do you pretty much know what the dogs really need and understand that most of the other shots suggested are really not necessary? I know Rabies vaccinations and de-wormers are a must, but what about the other stuff? I figured there might be some sort of alternative method for keeping the dogs in good shape. I've heard that the Native Americans used different herbs to treat their animals, but I don't know if that's true or not. My Granddad tells me about the dogs he had growing up and says they rarely ever got vaccinated for anything. He gets pretty miffed when he hears how much I spend on my dog. Of course he's the old school "they're just animals" type of person even though his dogs literally saved his life more than once. So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!!!

Abby

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!