SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texdal23

60's ranch - first plantings in almost 50 years

texdal23
13 years ago

We moved into our current house early last year, a 60's ranch in original condition. We've been focused on the inside, and are now turning our attention outside.

The house is all brick - a brownish tan - and we're doing gutters and trim only. We were going to do the brick as well, but were talked out of it due to natural beauty. One comment everyone has made was how dated the landscaping is. I know that is true but I haven't yet decided how to handle the front beds, or what I can do with the planter boxes. We considered removing them, but since they're original, I'd like to try and keep them.

These aren't the best pictures for looking at landscape, and I'll try and snap some better ones this morning.

We just had the live oak trimmed, so all the planting underneath was waiting to see how much sun I have to work with.

The large bed under the live oak I have planted with purple wintercreeper and ferns. I'm thinking color up front, but I probably need to decide on new shrubbery first.

No irrigation, but a lot of hand watering. Grass is bermuda - natural and native I'm sure; I seeded some in the back but most everything in the front is basically improved and well watered prarie land. We bought the house from the original owners, and they didn't believe in pouring perfectly good water out ... Thus, mostly dirt and gravel. We're trying to improve but 50 years is a long time to make up for. The gravel on the left side of the house used to cover more of the yard, and I hope to eventually take it all out and sod over, but I guess we're overwhelmed!

The goal was exterior beautification, and what started as paint is now much more inclusive.

I definitely want to do something interesting in the front yard, and I think the photenia's block the house -- I'm wondering if there's something else I can use that's a bit less uniform. Almost all you can see from the street is the roofline.

We were thinking of planters framing the door to get our color that way, and keep the front door in a chocolate brown.

The issue is that we side up to a very busy street, and the bushes block the view from inside.

Thanks in advance! I'm lost!

{{gwi:52127}}

{{gwi:52128}}

{{gwi:52129}}

{{gwi:52130}}

{{gwi:52131}}

{{gwi:52132}}

{{gwi:52133}}

{{gwi:52134}}

Comments (12)