SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Sunflower hulls and tomatoes, what can I do?

aliska12000
16 years ago

I don't have a good place to plant six big boy I think they are tomatoes I'm growing from seed (will give the rest of the plants away).

There is no good spot in my yard for vegetables, too many trees and flowers get the best spots. I don't want to grow in containers because they are too heavy and require too much dirt.

Now I have an area on the west side of the house along a brick porch and protruding stoop that would be just right for tomatoes now because I wouldn't have to break sod, etc., etc., but I've been feeding the birds, squirrels and chipmunks sunflower seeds and bird seed for years, and it is filled with sunflower hulls. I can rake some off and replace with topsoil, but the chemical would have had years to leach down deeper. Morning glories sprang up there just fine and went all over the porch rail when I didn't chop them out.

Should I chance putting tomatoes there? Will the west side give enough sun, it will get some south sun, too?

I haven't grown any for years because I didn't have a good place to plant them, but I did grow some on the east side, and they did ok. Now I need that space for something else, and it doesn't get as much sun as it did back then because of trees that weren't there or so high then.

Comments (19)