SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soda7

My house for sale: Can anything fix my curb appeal?

Soda7
9 years ago

I just put my house on the market and from the realtor's photo of the house front, I just realized how sad and ugly the house front is. When I moved here, I planned to beautify it, but life events eventually took over. After a while, I stopped noticing how it really looks.

Now I think it will turn buyers away, before they get to see the nicer interior. Any ideas? I have a tiny budget for supplies and materials (maybe $300), and I'll do the work myself. I don't have good design sense and also don't know what options might make a difference. If this was your house or you were advising a client, what would you choose to do on such a small budget to add curb appeal?

Located in USDA ZONE 7A. The front door faces West. I'll attach photos I took today.

CURRENT PLANTS IN FRONT YARD, viewed from the street:
Left side, a two-story maple tree has dark purple leaves in Spring that turn green in Summer.
Left side, behind maple tree, 2 Nandinas are in the low bed. In summer, this bed gets sun only in early afternoon because the maple tree in front of it.
Right side, raised brick bed has 2 English Laurels, 2 Rosa Rugosas, and Vinca minor groundcover. The Rugosa's are not well placed and their branch structure is messy. They don't look nice for such a prominent position at house front. Should I remove the Rugosas?

AROUND THE PICTURE WINDOW AREA?. All the man-made components around the picture window have similar color tones, including the indoor window drapes. The overall effect is anemic and dull. The siding and window trim are vinyl. The bulky window drapes make the window look more narrow. I could remove some drape panels to allow opening the drapes wider. Or I could remove the drapes entirely, which would possibly add definition to the window viewed from outdoors. But of course if no window covering, there'd be no privacy for us occupants in that room at night.

DOORWAY/ENTRANCE AREA:
STORM DOOR is metal with white factory paint. The front panel has rusted screw heads and rust is on hinges at the left side of door. The glass is one single sheet, not multiple separated panes. The metal grid just sits on top of the glass. The storm door's lines interfere with the lines of the primary door, although this "clash" is not too visible from the street. Removing the storm door could be tough because of flanges, trim, hinges, and screws in the metal frame surrounding it. I have no power tools, and afterward I'd need to properly patch any voids and holes, then paint them. Maybe I could ask the realtor, who is also a contractor, to remove the storm door but I may have reached a limit in asking him favors.

PRIMARY DOOR is substantial, metal, and factory painted beige. This door is better quality and condition than the storm door. The storm door's lines interfere with the primary door's lines, although this "clash" is not too visible from the street.

SHOULD I PAINT THE DOOR(S) AND/OR PAINT THE SHUTTERS? There are eight vinyl shutters, that have a "wood" texture. Their color is a little faded in places. Would painting the shutters and door a particular color improve the overall look of the house?

MULCH. Right now, thin old mulch covers the soil in the two beds, but the cost of new mulch may leave no money for other front yard needs. Maybe I could remove all the twigs and leaf debris from the soil to improve the appearance.

OTHER MATERIALS ON HAND:
=Two Euonymus shrubs with green and bright yellow variegations are planted in a side yard. In sun, there's a chartreuse effect. One shrub is 3-4 feet tall, the other shrub is smaller and more compact. See photos. I don't know whether these shrubs would complement anything at the house front and don't know how easy they are to transplant.
=Five large panels of thin wood lattice, the kind commonly used under porches. They've never been but are weathered gray. This kind doesn't have a frame around their perimeter.
=Two wood trellises, 5 feet high x 20 inches wide. Very simple, weathered, but nice design.

EVEN WITH ALL MY WORDINESS ABOVE, I may be overlooking important issues. I don't know how to prioritize on this or choose wisely. I'd love to hear any and all perspectives and suggestions. Thanks. .. (I'm not sure all my photos loaded..)

This post was edited by Soda7 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 22:03

Comments (21)