SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sassylady_gw

struggling vegetables

sassylady
16 years ago

hi there.

i tried the "lasagna" method of vegetable gardening this year and things are not looking quite right. i have 4, 4'x6' raised beds which i have layered up with newspaper, leaves from my fall cleanup, compost (purchased in bulk from a local feed store) and straw. my seeds were planted directly into this mixture on May 2nd. so, everything has sprouted, but i am starting to see some discoloration of the leaves on the seedlings. mostly yellowing, but a couple hungarian and jalepeno peppers with brown spots on leaves. also my basil seedlings seem to have a grayish look as do my turnips (which it may just be too warm for). so, is this an over watering problem?? i have a fair amount of gardening experience, but have always planted directly in the ground and used a soaker line. right now i am hand watering with a hose since our well irrigation seems a bit too powerful for these beds. right now i am watering them once a day at about 8:00am. by afternoon the soil still is damp a few inches down, but by no means waterlogged. any ideas??

i'm growing zucchini, cucumber, eggplant, tomatoes (transplants from a nursery), corn, jalepeno, hungarian pepper, parsley, basil, pole beans, and turnips. the yellowing seems to be across the board on all of them. again the raised beds are new to me since BINDWEED would have made it impossible to garden in the area i wanted to. oh, and sorry if this is a common question answered somewhere else....i just couldn't weed through the 60 something pages since my 2 year old just woke up from her nap. anyway...thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (16)