SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ijensen_gw

Suggestions on small shrubs

15 years ago

We are in the process of replacing a section of our lawn into a rock garden with container plants. Along a "L" shapped section which butts up against a concrete front porch and garage apron, I would like to plant a roll of smaller, flowering shrubs.

Any suggestion on a type of shrub that would have little root growth, and could be trimmed to keep small? We have always liked the look of what we called a Yellow Jackman (not the real name I am sure) which is also available with a white flower. They seem to grow well in our colder area and appear quite hardy.

Because we are planning on using Round-Up each spring to keep the weeks controlled in the rocks, I have placed round ring containers (without a bottom in them), side by side all along the "L" section that we would like to plant the shrubs in. I am hoping this will keep the Round-Up from getting to the roots of the shrubs and killing them. Each ring is apx 18" round and 10" high. We put heavy black plastic sheeting under the rings and fill material we used to build up the bed. We will put the weed control fabric on top of the fill material before the rocks are placed on top.

Any suggestions?

Comments (2)