SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Poulty Scheme/Reality Check

Jonathan
17 years ago

Hello,

I'm gearing up to fill my back paddock with various poultry. This will be my first time. I'm fortunate to have a few neighbors who are knowledgable about such things.

As a reality check, I'd like to present my current scheme. Please let me know if you see anything problematic here.

My plans are 6 or 7 chickens, 6 ducks, and 2 geese. My goals are entertainment, weed/pest control, and eggs, in that order. The area I call the "paddock" is a fenced (4 feet high with a couple questionable spots) in area of about an acre. Parts get a bit damp, but the barn is up on a hill that stays dry. It includes a small pond (20 X 30 feet), which is currently overrun with duckweed. The water is about 6' deep in the center; it seems to be primarily spring fed, with a slow trickle in and out of runoff from pastoral hills. There is a fenced (3' high) in young orchard/herb garden (with all plants currently terrified of my plans). The paddock has some boggy areas. It abuts conservation land, fraught with foxes and coyotes. Other known potential hazards are my two young sons (1 and 4) and our beagle, who is a scaredy cat, but you never know.

1. When the birds arrive, I plan to keep them in the basement of my house for two weeks, where I can be sure they will be very warm and safe. My current plan is to keep them in a horse trough.

2. At two weeks, I'll move them to the barn. Especially at first, and in the winter, everyone will sleep in the barn. The barn is 30 X 40 feet, with four 9X9 stalls. One or possibly two stalls can be devoted to the birds immediately, or at least, once I create the nesting boxes and cut bird entrances in the walls. I believe I should keep the chickens separate from the water fowl. The plan is to create two fenced in areas outside the barn: one for chickens, one for everyone else.

3. Eventually, I'd like to have the chickens in a chicken tractor so that they can do some work in my orchard. I'd like the water fowl to have little houses with good access to the pond, though I will test the water first to make sure that it is safe for them.

4. My goal with breeds is to focus on relatively rare/endangered types--particularly those with some connection to historical New England and the UK. They should be hardy enough to withstand New England winters, and relatively gentle towards my kids. They should be good foragers if possible. Brown eggs are preferable to white, but green are fine too. I'm aiming for diversity of color in the chickens.

Thus, these are the chickens currently on my short list. I plan to have one of each, and will get them from Ideal Poultry unless advised against doing so. (Ideal has the best selection of birds I prefer; McMurray comes in a close second.)

Chickens:

Dominique

White Plymouth Rock

Speckled Sussex

Buff Brahma

Partridge Chantecler

Araucana

I'm debating a rooster (or not), maybe a Silver Gray Dorking.

Ducks

Two each of:

Fawn and White Runner, but does anyone know a source for pure white?

Buff Orpington

Magpie

Geese:

Two Chinese or maybe Toulouse

I'm assuming, for some weird reason, that ducks prefer a companion of the same variety, but this is likely unfounded. For some reason, though, I'm drawn to matching water fowl, even though they'll all be females.

Thoughts? Particularly about the breeds would be helpful, at this stage. I'm thinking, March might be the time to order the birds. That will give me time to make sure all systems are a go.

--Jonathan

Comments (24)