SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rain2fall

Here's my lot ... Help!

rain2fall
14 years ago

My lot is 100 x 100. It's level. There's a huge hawthorne in the backyard -- it's toward the southwest. Along the fence line in the backyard is holly, a dwarf pear, weigelia, and a semi-dwarf apple. The holly provides privacy from the neighbor across the alley whose house abuts the alley. I think the weigelia needs to come out, and maybe one holly, to give the fruit trees more room.

In the front yard are roses, azaleas, two small, tiny-leaved rhodies, a 20' Mountain Ash volunteer, and a 25' Birch volunteer. The Mountain Ash needs to go, and probably the birch.

The side yard is the 100x50 piece to the North of the house. There's an Oregon Myrtle, 20-30 feet tall, in the NE corner. There's a Dawn Redwood right smack in the middle. Between the Dawn Redwood and the garage is a Colorado Blue Spruce. The door from the kitchen opens onto a small porch; directly in front of the steps is a large camellia tree, with the Dawn Redwood directly north of it.

I think the Dawn Redwood, Spruce, and Camellia are in the wrong places, but the trees are too big to move now, and the camellia provides a bit of shade in the afternoon. I cannot figure out what to do with this side yard.

I'd like to turn the front yard into a cottage garden, and move most of the roses to the side yard, next to the arborvitae hedge.

The city planted trees in the parking strip in front of the house. The northern-most is a Linden. It's too close to the Oregon Myrtle, but it looks like the Oregon Myrtle is winning. To the south is a young Red Oak. It's barely a sapling now, but it will get huge; I drew the lines to show it's mature size. The south-most is a Green Ash.

Is there a way for me to make a little shady, wooded area in the side yard and help to integrate the Dawn Redwood into an overall scheme, so that it doesn't look like it's plopped in the middle?

As for the backyard and the transition to the side yard, I'd like to add 2-4 more fruit or nut trees and some vegetable beds.

{{gwi:50597}}

Comments (17)