SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momamamo

making my yard look gorgeous

momamamo
17 years ago

Hi there. I'm posting a picture of my house in hope that someone can help me figure out what to do in my front yard. I plan to sell the house sometime next year.

My house is the only one on the block with a curved sidewalk. And even though they're not visible in the image, there are generally masses of flowers five feet deep running along the front of the house. On the left side of the porch is a perennial vine.

I am the only serious gardener on the street; the other few houses with plants are sporadic and not particularly well planned. I don't want my house to seem out of place. The house to the right when you look at the image is all yews and hollies - very heavy and foreboding. The house of the left is lighter with grasses and some daylilies.

I want to place another garden down near the street by the driveway. The driveway is quite worn down - in spots to the old bricks placed there in the '20s. I don't think I can afford to do much about that. What can I do to improve the look of the place? I have some 3 red fountain grasses and 2 red barberries that could go somewhere. My biggest problem is that I can't figure out if I should mimic the curvy sidewalk and line the while driveway side with shrubs, flowers, etc. Or should I create a different shape? Since the area down the street is lower than the majority of the lawn, do I need to create some sort of "edging" - like a little wall of stone or something like that - to anchor any plantings there?

Thanks for any advice. I just can't figure it out. Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:49446}}

Comments (9)