SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seed_collector

True Potato Seeds for SASBE - Starting Over

seed_collector
15 years ago

To make this easier how about this...

Send me a SASBE with any flower seeds you want in it and I will send you 100+ of the purple potato seeds and some russet potato seeds too!

Please be sure and label what you send me, My collection has everything labeled.

If your thinking, why do I need potato seeds? Lets say if you can't get seed potatoes you will be happy to have these seeds.

Description:

The seeds are called "Potato Dance" and are a crossed breed of these types:

Caribe: Purple Skin, Early Yields

Island Sunshine: Brown Skin, Yellow Flesh

Prince Hairy: Leaves Repel Beetles

Purple Peruvian: Purple Skin, Purple Flesh

Have lots but these are rare! I picked up 1 of only two seed lots for the year.

Comments (58)

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am looking for just about any flower especially edible flowers...

• haymay
    15 years ago

i'd be happy to send you some flower seeds for these potato seeds

just email your address

thanks
    jim

• Related Discussions

when to start potato seeds and peanuts

Q

Comments (3)
    Peanuts should be planted directly in the ground sometime about the 20th of April to the 1st of May for your area. They should be planted in a row with 6 inches between individual peanuts. Potato seed should be started indoors 6 to 8 weeks before you put them in the ground outdoors. To set them out by the 15th of April, you would start them indoors sometime about the 20th of February. DarJones
    ...See More

Growing potatoes for seed potatoes?

Q

Comments (29)
    Hmm. Just found this section, all good to know. Sulfur - interesting, grocery vs certified, light or no light, etc. I purchased some seed potatoes this year from WalMart not good results. My solution with reasonable results is buy a bag of potatoes (5lbs more than I can use for cooking) then dump them out of bag into a serving tray I keep in kitchen at end of island. When some start to sprout I use them for cooking but peel thickly, allow peelings to dry for a day then plant-they grow!! Had a fire ant problem this year so I pulled mulch back and spread diatomaceous earth then recovered with mulch, seemed to work ants gone. This continuous planting works for me in Central Florida because of climate, I also replant some of the potatoes that are produced from the plants produced from peelings. Have noticed increase in grubs in my raised beds will be treating them with milky spore powder this year. I don't know where I heard or read that regular grocery stores potatoes may be treated to prevent sprouting so I wash all then dry before spreading on the tray.
    ...See More

Update on potatoes from actual seed not potatoe eyes

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes...please keep us posted. I'm trying TPS for the first time. Mine are still wee babies, but looking good. I'll be interested in how yours are doing. What are you using for fertilizer?
    ...See More

Starting potato from seed, rather than a potato.

Q

Comments (4)
    We have grown potatoes for many years. Some years you get those little tomato like seed pods and other years you don't. One year we took the pods off and took out the seeds from them and dried them. The next year we planted them in the ground in my cold frame. It had no bottom and good soil because I often planted late salad crops in it to prolong the growing season. Anyway they sprouted and grew making small potato plants that summer. When we dug them in the fall there were these small seed potatoes, which we kept and grew the next year with success.
    ...See More
  • grdngramma
    15 years ago

I'd like some taters too!! Send me your address if you have some left and I'll send you some Asters, pretty pinks and purples. thanks much, mamahack@hotmail.com

• aphroditelaughs
    15 years ago

If you still have some, I would love potato seeds. Let me know if you want any flowers in particular. Thanks!

Ellie
    aphroditelaughs

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope that I have emailed everyone who responded. If I have not please let me know.

PReston

• debdov
    15 years ago

Sorry , but I never got an e-mail from you yet.Deb.
    DementedDeb1@aol.com

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I would love some also if you have any left. Kim

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can send potato seeds to 100 takers. Keep um commin!

Preston

• Alan Parkman
    15 years ago

I would like some of your potato seeds. I've never grown them from seed. I can send you a collection of flowers and veggie seeds that I save along with a SASBE. Please email your address to me.

• journey149
    15 years ago

do you have any left let me know

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, I can send potato seeds to 100 takers. Keep um commin!

Preston

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kin2mice & Mr. Kamil

Your seeds will be out Monday, your envelopes came in.

PReston

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

you have mail
    Dorothy

• laughter
    15 years ago

I sent you an e-mail too. =)

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Why do you want people to send flower seeds and an SASBE? When I trade for seeds I send my bubble envie and seeds with the postage that I paid for and I receieve a bubble envie and seeds that we agreed on from the person I traded with. They pay for the postage on thier end. Is there something I am missing here? It just does not seem fair.

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are some very rare seeds that were collected from a breeding program by one of the top breeders in the world. I was at the right place at the right time to buy 1/2 of the seed stock from their trials and all I am asking for is some excess flower seeds in trade.

I am on the top breeding forum on the net and these guys with tons more knowledge then me have no problem with this sort of trade to get seeds like these.

These are potato seeds, not seed potatoes. When was the last time you saw true potato seeds especially purple potato seeds from a world renowned expert breeder?

All of the people who have sent envelopes so far understand how unique these seeds are. It took me 4 months of looking to get my first true potato seeds in...

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

emailing...would be interested in some of your potato seeds too, will you send sowing instructions along with them? thanks

• burwoodbelle
    15 years ago

SENT YOU MAIL

PAT L.

• plantman50
    15 years ago

Sounds like something I'd like to have. Sending email.

• bekisar
    15 years ago

I just sent you an email. THANKS SO MUCH. As soon as I get your address,I will trade with you.WAYNE B.

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All packages sent so far. Please remember to add the flower seeds and an envelope. Even though you send stamps, I have to pay for the bubble envelope.

PReston

• w9yards
    15 years ago

Sending you an email

w9yards

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

preston,your are so generous, thank you. i'd to receive some potatoe seeds. i'll send ya something really good, i'll send ya sasbe. please send me your address. molly

• bethanyjoy2824
    15 years ago

I'd love to try some purple potatoes for my 2 year old...anything to make him eat more veggies! Please send me your address and I will send some goodies your way.

Thanks,
    Bethany

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bethanyjoy2824 how do I contact you?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I don't need any seeds, thank you, but am curious about the seeds.

Are these F1 hybrid seeds, or are they open pollinated seeds with the varieties listed below planted nearby?

You said, Description:

Have lots but these are rare!

Do you mean that those 4 varieties are somewhere in their heritage?

Do you have a link that tells of this variety? I could not find anything about them whatsoever?

Have you ever grown the potatoes from seed yourself? Do they make little potatoes the first season? How do they produce? Might you know how long of a growing season they would need since being grown from seed.

I hope you don't mind me asking here.

tia

Sue

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'd also love to have some of these potato seeds. Is there more available? Please, send me your address...

Blessings,
    Angela

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I find it curious that anyone would be making an offer where you send seeds AND a sasbe. I have trouble with the thought that anyone would ask for extra because some seeds are deemed rare. I have seeds that no one else or very few people in the US have. I do not ask for extra because they are rare. The seeds I sometimes offer will also come true to the parent plant something the potato seeds will not do.

Being that they are new member to this forum, maybe they do not realize that it is not normal procedure. Either a person sends an empty sasbe to a trader for the seed, or each trader sends seeds in their own envelopes. Just because it is ok on some other forum does not mean it is ok here. Now if they were offering potato tubers of rare varieties and wanted extra seeds or a couple extra stamps to cover the extra cost of postage compared to the cost of mailing seeds, I could understand.

Also, I am curious as top what this top breeding forum is.

True potatoes seeds of all colors can be found. Potatoes from seed are probably going to take two seasons to make a sizable harvest of potatoes. Plus these supposed new varieties will not come true to description. They will all be different. Potatoes must be saved and grown from tubers to get the same potatoes year to year. That is not to say an interesting potato may come from the seeds, but you just don't know what you will get. So if you don't have time or space to experiment the seed may not be the best for you. If you like to have fun experimenting then getting potato seeds would be great.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Potatoes from true seed info

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Plus these supposed new varieties will not come true to description. They will all be different."

Where did you hear about this. These "true seeds" are true to their linage. They are from one of the top breeders in the world with a background only few could ever hope for.

"That is not to say an interesting potato may come from the seeds, but you just don't know what you will get"

All potatoes have evolved from seed and if you take seeds from a russet potato, you will get a tuber of russet potato. Your not going to get a purple Peru potato tuber from a russet seed and visa versa.

What makes this different is these seeds are the only seeds in a traders hands on earth. The other lot was kept by the breeders themselves. But I guess it's not such a big deal after all.

Thats why I have gotten 40 offers so far of people gladly sending flower seeds to get the potato seeds!!!

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are these F1 hybrid seeds, or are they open pollinated seeds with the varieties listed below planted nearby? --No--

You said, Description:

Have lots but these are rare!

Do you mean that those 4 varieties are somewhere in their heritage? --Exactly--

Do you have a link that tells of this variety? I could not find anything about them whatsoever?

http://www.growseed.org/potato-breeding.html

Have you ever grown the potatoes from seed yourself? --Yes--

Do they make little potatoes the first season? --Yes--

How do they produce? --A dozen or so tubers--

Might you know how long of a growing season they would need since being grown from seed. --90 Days--

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

"All potatoes have evolved from seed and if you take seeds from a russet potato, you will get a tuber of russet potato. Your not going to get a purple Peru potato tuber from a russet seed and visa versa."
    This is not true. If you bag a blossom or grow under cover a russet potato, you will get russet potatoes, BUT the russet potatoes will vary and you may get some that do not look like a russet. They are not clones of the parent plant. You of course won't find a purple peruvian potato growing, but you will not get the parent. Some of the babies could show characteristic of the lineage the parent plant came from that are not exhibited in the parent.
    If you grow potatoes without covering the blossoms, and you are growing a couple types near each other, you could get just about anything as far as the new plants go. There's a lot of gene mixing going on. The same goes for the seeds you are offering.
    All the seeds grown will produce plants different from each other. That as I said before doesn't mean there won't be interesting new varieties. They could also be duds too.
    It is the same as offering seeds of two of the much coveted new Echinaceas. Saying one parent is for example Mango Tango and the other is oh.. Dopppleganger. The seed from the cross could be considered unusual if not rare. You might get an extremely cool new variety. You might get some really ugly babies. You might get some plain jane looking ones too.

Saying that 40 people have responded means nothing. That doesn't mean you are following proper seed trading procedure for this forum. I have seeds of plants that will come true from seeds that no one else in the US has. I do not consider it a big deal.
    I do consider it a big deal to make an offer seem more important than it is and to take people's seeds and not make a fair trade. A fair trade for rare seeds, or special to you seeds, is to ask for something special in exchange, and for both parties to pay postage for the package they mail.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

On your link the seeds are said to crosses made by Bryan Connolly. On your original offer of this seed you said something completely different.
    "I got them from a real famous lady who's mission in life is to restore old holy land wheat and these seeds were from a successful run of potatoes from 07'"
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Offer

• worth1
    15 years ago

Sounds like a Scam to me.
    Why cant you answer folks as to why you want THEM to pay for the return seeds?

Somethings rotten in Denmark. (or should I say the potato patch).
    It almost sounds like one of those TV commercials.
    If we send the seeds and a sase do we get a free prize like a potato digger or maybe a free knife.

Inquiring minds would like to know.:>)

Worth

• tomatoaddict
    15 years ago

This doesn't pass the smell test.

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can answer these questions all day but since you are intent on ruining a good thing why waste my time. Why is it that the people who don't have the seeds, always have the answers.

That said, since some people don't send the flower seeds or postage or even the envelope it does not matter what my offer was; I still send them the seeds.

Thanks, guys. I am sure glad someone is here to ruin the fun.

• newatthiskat
    15 years ago

ok I am just trying to get all this straight.Was the TPS bred by the person in the website you attached or the woman in the holyland? Did he breed them for her? It also appears that you have grown them according to what you stated. SO did you personally save the TPS or is it from the original breeder? The website you posted did state that bees were involed in the cross pollenating and as any long term grower knows that bees do a very good job of cross pollenating hence the word cross. Curious about how long they were dehybridized. Some tomatoes take as long as 8 seasons. If these are from 07 then their is minimal chance they are fully dehybridized. So there is really no telling what people will get. I am just trying to get this all straight like I stated. We are not here to "ruin the fun" per say just to get all the various facts together. Where is Tom Wagner when you need him?
    Kat

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Was the TPS bred by the person in the website you attached or the woman in the holyland? [I believe both had a hand in it] [Eli sold them to me, who grew them or harvested the seeds, Byron, both or someone else?] [I know where I got them and have the page on Eli's site for info]

It also appears that you have grown them according to what you stated. SO did you personally save the TPS or is it from the original breeder? [These are their original seed]

The website you posted did state that bees were involed in the cross pollenating and as any long term grower knows that bees do a very good job of cross pollenating hence the word cross. Curious about how long they were dehybridized. [I do not know this]

Some tomatoes take as long as 8 seasons. [You mean potatoes?]

If these are from 07 then their is minimal chance they are fully dehybridized. So there is really no telling what people will get. [Why do you insist it's like rolling dice? I got small purple tubers off 3 plants and all looked the same] [The seeds came from breeders, not hybrid makers and I got what they got. Hybrids evolve, my plants did not vary from theirs.]

I am just trying to get this all straight like I stated. We are not here to "ruin the fun" per say just to get all the various facts together. Where is Tom Wagner when you need him?

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I am sorry but I have to jump back in here. You have never addressed the fact that you are being unjustly enriched. I guess you just don't get it.

"I am on the top breeding forum on the net and these guys with tons more knowledge then me have no problem with this sort of trade to get seeds like these."
    Garden Web has its own specific set of trading rules. What is good somewhere else, does not necessarily apply at GW.

Also, why are you asking that people send you a bubble envelope for the return trip? What are you doing with the envelope they are sending you with the flower seeds?

I suggest that you read the special instructions for the exchange. You can find this thread at the top of the page. These rules apply to every member on this forum.

Trading seeds fairly is fun. But it just puts a bad taste in my mouth when I see members trying to take advantage of others.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

So, I'm curious here... just how many seasons have you grown these seeds yourself? I know that many different plants take several years to dehybridize- no matter what they are. And the previous poster did mean tomatoes, not potatoes. If you've not grown these seeds long enough for them to dehybridize, how do you know that second seasons from them will come as true as the first season did? I can grow something from first season and still get pretty much the same plant, but saved seed for the second generation (or would that be third?) could be something entirely different.

No one is trying to "Ruin the fun", we're just curious about the potatoes and your claims about them. If these are the original seeds you received, then I'm sure they will be pretty much what you grew originally. I'm just curious as to future generations of these seeds.

Now, to the more important issue- the request for seeds, an extra bubble envelope and return postage. As explained, and I'll make one more stab at it, though I doubt I can can make any more effect than the more experienced members have...

A trade is a trade. You each have something the other wants and you each package it up in a bubble envelope, stick on the stamps and mail it to the other. There are two bubble envelopes involved, neither of which are returned to the original sender and each pays the postage on their end to mail out. There is usually a note thanking the other for trading, a list of what's being traded and GW IDs.

A SASBE (prefer the term BEAP, myself) is where one person has seed they do not want to keep for themselves, offers it if someone will mail them the postage to send it back to the requester. The requester sends 1 bubble envelope with reasonable return postage, a return address label and a note including what they're requesting and their GW ID inside. The one making the offer does not profit in any way. They do not gain anything except more room in their seed box. There is only one bubble envelope involved, which is returned to the requester, and only enough postage to accomplish that, which is essentially returned to the requester in getting the seeds back to them.

Did I explain that clearly? I hope so, if not for the original poster here, but for the newbies to the forum and/or those that aren't clear on how the two offers differ.

And personally, seed_collector, I don't really care what your status is, or what is acceptable on another site. I'm a member on several swap/trade/sale sites and their rules and what's acceptable there are not always acceptable here. The guidelines/rules/traditions/ etc on those sites do not apply to this site. Just as the same here does not apply there. And, frankly, I find your efforts to deride established members here who are calling you to task for taking advantage of those who are not as well "seasoned" as traders/swappers here to be ludicrous.

To any others considering accepting this offer, keep in mind that several traders here who have years of trading experience on this site and who have numerous excellent reviews on the Rate and Review Trades Forum are calling this member's trade practices into question and this member is deflecting them. This seems to be one of those "Buyer beware" situations... because it seems you are buying these seeds touted so strongly, with your extra bubble envelopes, extra postage and seeds.

Kathy

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The offer is now closed.

I will take my 6500 items and go elsewhere. You answer their questions and still they have no intentions of letting any more trades happen. Every trade I have done for these seeds on GW I have to put out stamps or the envelope or both and some never even send any flower seeds. I will send the seeds and send some extra seeds they might not have. But I am the bad guy.

Have fun...

• TJG911
    15 years ago

what a scam! i'm surprised anyone was sucked in by this. look folks if it does not pass the smell test.....

tom

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Maybe I am being too naive but I have faith that he will send out his end. Until those who traded or send in the sasbe complain, I do not feel that he should be so harshly criticized.

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

I have read all of the posts and just would like to say a few things. I sent in a SASE and a couple of flower seeds that I had extra and got my potatoe seeds. I had read about growing potatoes from seeds BEFORE I responded so I sort of knew what I was getting into. As far as the ney sayers go you have made some very good points as far as the hybrizations go that I had not thought of but... I did as he asked and got my stuff. I think surprises are some of the greatest things in the gardeing process and look foward to growing the seed. To be honest I really did not care what the seed "kind" was I just wanted to try it out. I did not feel that unwanted flower seed and a SASE was too much. I got rid of flowers to someone who might use them and who did not care what he got and I got what I wanted in return. I do try and make it a point to READ up about anything that I ask for in a trade BEFORE I ask for it just to make sure it is something that I really want and can grow in my garden. I appreciate the information on the hybrizations/breeding and will keep it in mind. But I don't think that he was being dishonest I think that that perhaps the responders needed to be better informed about how potatoe breeding works(which thanks to the posts they are but they could have searched the web or gotten a book at the library as well)but... it is always the case of buyer beware. LEARN about stuff. Stop defaming a persons charator when he stated what he wanted and people responded if they did not like it they should first email him directly and perhapes the trade could be reversed. Only after all private resources have failed should someone publically announce the grievence. Plus there is a whole forum devoted to rating traders on thier trade that is where the negative stuff should have been posted. Or perhapes a forum on breeding potatoes or a conversation could have been started. I don't think this was the place to do any of that.
    Thank you,
    Mouse
    ps. I have tried to be fair to both sides you have all made vaild points have given me information that I indend on using for future trades. Thank you.

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Maybe I am being too naive but I have faith that he will send out his end. Until those who traded or send in the sasbe complain, I do not feel that he should be so harshly criticized.

The poster offered seeds that where in question as to the accuracy of what he claimed they where. and his offer was not an SASBE/BEAP.

Other posters where asking questions to obtain further information as to what his seeds where that he was offering.

And still other posters where questioning the actual trade set up as it was totally against the seed trading rules that have been set up by GW.

It is quite acceptable to ask questions about an offer for seeds, especially when they don't make any sense or the seeds that are offered are in question.

It is also quite reasonable to question the requirements that a trader has set up for a trade when they are not what they are supposed to be.

Stop defaming a persons charator when he stated what he wanted and people responded if they did not like it they should first email him directly and perhapes the trade could be reversed. Only after all private resources have failed should someone publically announce the grievence.

Asking questions about an offer that makes no sense is not "defaming a person's character".
    when the offer makes no sense, then it is more than reasonable to ask the questions and there is no reason that they shouldn't be asked on the thread that the trader posted so that all can see the answers and understand the trade offer.

Doing so "in secret" as you suggest is just a way around getting the answers for one person and not for all members on the forum.

The offer made was in serious question as it didn't make sense in what he was saying about the potato seeds

The arrangements for the trade where against forum rules set up by GW. A trade consists of one person sending seeds in a bubble envelope and paying for the postage on their end and in return, the other person mails seeds and sends them paying postage on their end.

This was not a trade in any way under the rules of this forum nor was it an SASBE/BEAP offer

This trader was profiting from what he was calling an SASBE. He was getting flower seeds sent to him in a bubble envelope paid my the member responding to his post, plus he was also getting the postage to send the seeds to the member.

Under the rules of GW. an SASBE/BEAP is someone sending a bubble envelope and postage to another member and having the other member fill the bubble mailer with the seeds requested and the using the received postage to mail the seeds back.

A trade is one member sending a bubble envelope with seeds in it to another member and the member pays the postage costs on his/her end. The other member sends seeds in a bubble envelope and pays for the postage on his/her end.

This offer did not meet either of those rules, and was nothing more than the poster selling seeds. Something that is not allowed on the forum.

These things where being pointed out in the thread, to both the poster and to those that where thinking of requesting seeds from the offer.

Plus there is a whole forum devoted to rating traders on thier trade that is where the negative stuff should have been posted.

The rate and review forum is to post on trades that have actually taken place or to post about a trader that has not followed through on their end or their have been problems with the trade.

It is not a forum to post on about someone that is not following the rules, or posting for SASBE/BEAP that make no sense.

This was the appropriate place to make the posts that where done. When someone doesn't understand what the post or the offer means, or it doesn't sound correct, then it should be questioned on the thread that the offer was made.

It is highly unlikely that only one person would be confused by a post, and asking the questions gets the answers for all to understand or correct a post, or, in this case, question the authenticity of the seeds being offered and the errors in the offer as well.

Fran

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I found this Craig's List posting very interesting.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigs List Posting

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an email I found from Eli...

Hi Preston,

Hope that the seeds bring a renewal of your health and farming energy.

The potato crosses were done three years ago with the support of Dr. Raoul Robinson. I hope that you have good germination. The first year of growing from potato seed produces small potatoes. Plant the first year potatoes that you like best, and expect larger sized potatoes year 2. For instructions, read Dr. Robinson's Amateur Potato Breeding Manual. Link below. It is a cool breeding project.

You are know bequethed this rare seed, the last bag. Take good care of them, and perhaps in a few years you can offer them back to our community seedbank!

Keep us posted on how everything grows and if you have any questions. Yes, the wheatsheaf is mailed separately.

Green Blessings,

Eli Rogosa
    Heritage Wheat Conservancy

Here is the link to the potato breeders manual: http://www.sharebooks.ca/ebooks_by_author2.php?author=Robinson%2C+Raoul+A.

• scottrell
    15 years ago

I too found the Craig's list very interesting.

But, hey who is this Tom Wagner person? Not kidding, I really want to know. And yes, sometimes I do live under a rock, but mostly on the beach. So I am not hip to all things current.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Tom Wagner is an acquaintance of some of the posters on this thread and me. He is a potato and tomato breeder. His most famous baby is probably Green Zebra tomato.
    Remy

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Oh! Well that make sense! Thank you Remy!

I thought he was a celebrity on TV! LOL!

• seed_collector
    Original Author
    15 years ago

http://tater-mater.blogspot.com

I think this is his website, or one of them... and here is his forum: http://tatermater.proboards107.com

Preston

Sponsored