SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenb_gw

Butternut and Cushaw vines

queenb
11 years ago

What is the optimal number of fruits to allow on each vine for a larger fruit? So far, each one of my cushaw vines has only one fruit growing, but my butternut vines are putting them out left and right. However, they aren't very big before they start turning tan. I'm really wanting larger squash. At present, I think some vines have about three or so. As usual, many that flower aren't making, and I cut those off as they yellow and wither.

Comments (3)

• queenb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The butternuts are from seeds of a few that I bought at the store. They weren't huge, but they weren't small, either. I was hoping they would produce something close to what they came from. So far, they're all a bit smaller, but uniform in shape from plant to plant. I guess I'll have to see about getting a specific variety of seed from somewhere for next year.

• John0516
    11 years ago

Try planting Argonaut Hybrids for large butternut squash. They are pretty large and easy to grow and the taste is excellent. I purchased my seeds from Gurney's but I think several companies sell them.