SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oscarmatic_gw

My 5-1-1 weekend

Oscarmatic
10 years ago

This weekend, I mixed up my first batch of 5-1-1 potting mix. Thanks to the extraordinarily helpful posts on this site, I had a great time getting the ingredients together and mixing it up. I'm posting my experience in the hope it will help someone who comes after me, and to get feedback from the experienced gardeners about how I did.

My ingredients came from Walter Andersen Nursery in San Diego: GreenAll Micro Bark, coarse perlite, and coir (instead of peat). The coarse perlite only comes in an *enormous* bag, so if you're in San Diego and need some coarse perlite you know who has some extra. I read several GW posts about peat's sustainability plus coir's drawbacks and benefits, and I finally came down in favor of giving the coir a try based on cost. I have sooooo much of the other ingredients, I can always pop back into W.A.'s for a bag of peat if I need it.

The GreenAll Micro Bark was nicely consistent in size throughout the 2 cu ft bag. I sifted it using a slightly dented bin from The Container Store with a mesh just under 1/4". The small bin worked brilliantly for sifting neatly and efficiently. The photo below shows the sifted out wee bits on the left, and the bark on the right. The waste was less than a half gallon in volume.

I was unsure about the quantity of sap wood in this bark. The main problem was I am not entirely sure what bits of the bark mix are sap wood and should be picked out. I'd appreciate some experienced gardeners having a look at the photo and weighing in on whether this bark has a lot of sap wood.

Rather than deal with the perlite dust, I used the mesh bin to hold the perlite and rinsed it well with a garden hose. There were no small bits of perlite to deal with, and the dust rinsed away nicely.

The coir I used is Nature's Coco Organic Coir Garden Mulch. This is the type that gets soaked and expands. Having read the posts about coir's potential salinity, I rinsed and soaked and rinsed it (also in the very convenient mesh bin). The size of the Garden Mulch blend is highly irregular - some tiny shredded bits, and some bits larger than the pine bark nuggets. The coir nuggets break apart easily by hand, so if I'm not working with a large volume, it would be manageable to break it apart by hand.

I used the mesh bin as my measure, too -- 5 bins of bark, 1 bin of perlite, and 1 bin of reconstituted coir. I topped it with 2 cups of lime and a gallon of water. I mixed thoroughly by pouring the mix back and forth between two containers until it looked evenly mixed. The photo below shows the finished mix with a shiny quarter for size reference.

I saw a question in a previous thread about the weight of the 5-1-1 mix. Moist, but not wet, a #5 container (approx 5 gallons) of my mix is approximately 13 lbs.

Comments (16)