SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likesivy

How to Keep a Public Memorial Garden from Looking Hodge Podge

likesivy
15 years ago

I’ve volunteered to be in charge of the memorial garden our local garden club installed near the town hall about five years ago. My question is, are there any guidelines for designing public spaces such as this? Any books? Websites? Forums?

What’s there now is a good start, but I am in a position to make suggestions to people who want to donate either plants or money. I guess it is the nature of a community memorial garden that is open to donations to always be changing, so I want to create a sense of order and permanence. I want to guard against it looking like a plant collection, or is that simply what it is? Should I give up my ambitions to make it inviting, cohesive, even transporting?

The space is a somewhat irregular semi circle containing about 700 square feet. One side is bordered by a playground, and the opposite side by a parking lot. There are sidewalks on the other two sides, and a six-sided gazebo measuring about 12 feet across sits towards the front center. On either side of the gazebo are thick and healthy boxwood hedges, kept trimmed, that lead people through the gazebo on a narrow sidewalk. There is also a set of concrete stepping stones that makes a y-shape path through the area behind the gazebo.

There is a sprinkler system, good mulch, and volunteers to tend to deadheading, pruning, and weekly cleanup. A handsome wooden sign with a plot map under glass identifies plants and donors..

On one side is a border of six indian hawthorne shrubs. The other side has no border. The largest trees are two rose of sharon and a crepe myrtle. We are in coastal North Carolina, zone 8. The site gets full sun in front and part sun elsewhere. In winter, it’s all sunny. A large rose bush centers the area in front of the gazebo. Some medium sized shrubs are a buddleia, a forsythia, and two more roses. Of course, for five months of the year, all these are leafless. We also have a camellia, an acuba, an azalea, a gardenia, two spirea, and a yaupon holly.

Additionally, there are gerbera daisies, amarylis, asters, a clematis, daylilies, daffodils, assorted iris, coral bells, cone flowers, artemesia Powis Castle, mums, perennial blue salvia, and hostas. All of these are in clusters or drifts. Most are healthy and well-sited. It sounds crowded, but it's not. We usually pop in some red and white annuals near the blue salvia in time for our Fourth of July celebration (parade, speeches, games, concert, barbecue), the time of year the garden gets most of its public attention.

Does anyone have basic advice for managing a space like this? I think that signage and hardscape are taken care of, but I wonder if I should encourage more variety (like specimens), more borders, annual beds of color, or more shrubs. I would like to see a hedge along the open side border, maybe rosemary, and I dream of a Japanese maple! I have an annual budget of just $50 in addition to what is donated. I have a $50 donation now that will go towards a hedge of hollies between the playground (where there is a low, jumping-off kind of fence, not ideal), and a $25 donation for a witch hazel.

If you have read this far, thank you. I’ll appreciate any comments and advice.

Comments (3)