SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

Pictures Worth...

wellspring
17 years ago

Our house is nothing particular beyond being a raised ranch in a middle income neighborhood. The housing development is about 35 years old and has the characteristic repetitions and variations of models A through E with the odd custom-built thrown in every once in a while. Each model / style of home has its economy version, the mid-range, and the deluxe -- ours is the mid-range version of its type and is found sprinkled liberally throughout the edition. There are mature trees along the streets, left-overs of landscape design from the time of construction, and only very occasionally an updated landscape design.

My worry is "curb appeal" and, yes, I've read the post. There is much, I'm afraid, that detracts from this already rather "plain Jane" house. We may be selling in about 3 years and so we are working on major points inside and out to improve marketability.

We are about to take a big step forward. It would include Â

Removal of an island bed / burm from the front;

Re-grade of that area;

Siting / planting of specimen tree;

Slit seeding (or is it split?) of area with grass;

Temporary relocation of two shrubs from island bed.

The island bed is an eyesore. This summer I have ignored it. Over a year ago one of the two "pillar" trees that it contained was removed. The trunk was ground up but much loose dirt was left in a pile. That pile was mostly moved by hand, by me. That particular project brought the fact home to me just how incredibly slow I am at accomplishing anything in the garden. Rather demoralizing. So  the island bed removal, re-grade, plant-a-tree thing would be a vast step forward.

Now, to the point  I'd like to borrow your eyes as well as your design sensibilities. I'm starting to have major cold feet. Then I think "To Hell with it  Any change is better than a dirt pile in the middle of your front yard!" As I am totally blind and do not own a digital camera, I would have to ask a friend to post photos. I can't see the photos used on threads here, but I have noticed requests and suggestions to get a better sense of the situation. So  rather than assuming I know what I'm doing  could you tell me how best to instruct someone to photograph the area in question?

Wellspring

Comments (23)