SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meadowdreamer

Raised Bed Garden

meadowdreamer
13 years ago

Hi All!!

So I am honestly doing my first official vegetable garden this year. I have grown a few tomato plants before but I am ready to get down and dirty. So I have a couple of questions for the experienced! First, my husband made me a 4x6 raised bed this weekend. It has not been filled yet so it can be moved from the place he placed it if needed. That's my first question.

1. How far away should it be from our wooden fence? Where the bed is placed gets full sun, so that's not a problem, but I was hoping to plant green beans towards the back. Are they going to end up on the other side of the fence if only a coupld of feet away?

2. What will fit in a 4x6 bed??? It looks so small... I plan on 4 tomato plants, 2 green bean plants, some okra, squash... I wanted to do melon but I heard they need lots of space. I also heard cucumbers need lots of space and need to be planted in mounds? Any other suggestions?

3. I am totally up for a couple of container veggies too if needed. So if my cucumbers won't do well in the little garden..what about containers? Or even put the tomatoes in containers instead of the garden.

Then there's PH and peat moss etc, etc, etc... It all seems so overwhelming and complicated. But I am just itching to do this and do it right!

Thanks!!

Elicia

Comments (7)