SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susaneden_gw

My raised beds

susaneden
16 years ago

Hello all--wanted to share this with you, as I have seen many good ideas for raised beds on this forum.

I was going to (a) pay a landscaper to put in 4 raised beds, or (b) buy the supplies and make them myself. The landscaper wanted about $500 to put in 4 raised beds (6x6, and only 6" deep). He did not want to remove the grass, just wanted to spray weed killer on the grass under the beds, and forget mentioning tilling to the guy lol. So, that option went out the window.

The next plan was to get treated cedar or the plastic-coated wood, rent a rototiller and get busy and do it myself.

Before I had purchased anything, right before drifting off to sleep one night, an idea popped into my head that has really worked well for me, and my wallett, too.

In my shed I had about 50 sturdy, black, 5-gallon pots (12" wide by 12" deep). I filled these with a good soil mix and made 2 raised beds (7' x 7' when you count the pots for square footage). Inside the squares of pots, all I had to do was break up the grass mat, and line the edges with a double lining of good landscape material. I suppose some type of plastic would have worked well, too. I was also able to make 3 smaller raised beds with the soil I had left over and material I already had available. I also filled 12 watertight bushekl baskets with the rest of the leftover soil (lined with more landscape fabric) for summer squash and small melons, etc.

...I was even thinking of trying to grow buttercup or spaghetti squash in those baskets, but came to my senses--those really need to be in the ground with LOTS of room!

So--my whole raised bed project cost me 180.00 (25.00--including shipping and handling for the pots, and the rest for the soil). Of course, I paid for only 3 yards of soil, and the guy must have brought me 7, causing me to get creative with the rest of it.

Just wanted to share my midnight brainstorm with all of you--the beds look great!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths