SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissel

Total newbie confused about potato plants

melissel
11 years ago

I'm trying to figure out just how I'm supposed to treat these plants. We have Kennebec and Norland Red planted in two in-ground beds. They are very tall, and a bunch are getting ready to flower. I know I'm supposed to hill them up (already did once), but just how much am I supposed to hill them? How much green should be showing above the (hay? compost?) coverage? Am I supposed to just cover over all the leaves on the lower halves of the plants?

I'm also wondering whether these plants are leggy or whether they're supposed to be this tall. The tallest ones (about to flower) have 20 inches of stem/leaves showing above the dirt. Is that crazy tall for potato plants? I just read something that said that there should only be 4-5 inches of plant showing above the hill, but if I were to use more dirt/compost to hill them, I'd have to add another 15 inches of soil. I can't even figure how I'd get it to stay that high without some kind of container.

If some experienced potato growers could set me straight on all this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Comments (18)