SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fujiapple73

Please help! What is wrong with my potatoes and tomatoes?? (PICS)

fujiapple
14 years ago

Please help! My potato and tomato plants are suddenly looking really pathetic, and it's only the beginning of the season.

It started about 2 weeks ago with my red potato plant. Up until then, all my potato plants were looking gorgeous and healthy. But then the red one started to look a little droopy. This has progressed to yellow and brown leaves and VERY droopy looking. Now I'm worried because it seems to be spreading to my other potato plants... they are getting brown.

Is this some kind of disease? Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse??

{{gwi:53164}}
The one in the lower left corner is the red potato - which has had the problem for 2 weeks

{{gwi:53165}}
Closer look at the red potatoes

{{gwi:53167}}
Good example of the leaf problem on my Yukon Gold potatoes

{{gwi:53169}}
Leaf problem on my Yukon Gold potatoes

I have noticed similar leaf problems with a few of my tomato plants (which are in containers about 15 feet away from the potatoes):

{{gwi:53171}}
I only planted this tomato 2 weeks ago!

{{gwi:53172}}

I hope this is a problem that someone can recognize. Could they be related?

Possible clues:

• I live in zone 9. The weather has been pretty normal - not overly hot except for one weekend 2 weeks ago.

• Everything is on an automatic drip system... we were watering once every 2 days for a while, but when the potato plant started to look bad I shut those sprinklers off thinking they might be over-watered, and have been hand watering less frequently since then. However this did not seem to make a difference.

• I have noticed a lot of cucumber beetles in the garden recently. They are chewing holes in many of my plants, especially a sunflower (do those attract cucmber beetles?), they are also on my green beans, tomatoes and I've spotted them on the potatoes. Could they be causing the leaves to brown? I've tried spraying them with insecticidal soap of the last couple of days, not sure if that's helping.

• I am very experienced with growing tomatoes in containers - this brown leaf thing is a first for me (at least in May).

• I am a complete newbie at growing potatoes. I was so excited because they seemed to be doing SO GREAT until a couple of weeks ago!

Please please please tell me what I should do! I don't want to lose my potatoes and tomatoes at the start of the season! I was randomly wide awake at 2:30am this morning, fretting over my poor veggie garden.

Thank you!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor