SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simplyoranges

When To Expect Harvestable Melons

simplyoranges
11 years ago

I started imperial 45 cantaloupes, crimson sweet watermelon, and honeydew melons almost two months ago in containers. I have 3 watermelons in a container with a trellis and the rest in containers on the ground (I also did the same with the cantaloupes and honeydews). I have one watermelon per plant in the containers and they seem to be growing pretty well. The oldest one has been growing for about 2 weeks since the flower first appeared and it is almost 5 inches in diameter and slightly over 15 inches in circumference. I tried to weigh it with my digital fish scale and it said 2.5 lbs, but I couldn't really weigh it properly (it really feels at least 5 lbs.). The other two melons on the trellis are not far behind this one. About when can I expect them to be ready for harvest? I read somewhere that they get about 10-12" and 10-25 lbs. And since it is so early here in Florida can I expect to get a second batch of melons from the plants (I understand they might not be as good)? I have supported my melons on the trellis with hammocks made out of old shirts. Was this a good idea or will it slow down the growth of the melon if there is a shirt holding it in? I was also wondering these same things for my cantaloupes and honeydews. I have a couple cantaloupes that are about the size of fists and some honeydews that are just starting to set. Has anyone else grown imperial 45? I guess they get 8-10 lbs, which is a bigger cantaloupe than I'm used to getting from the store. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just in love with melons (especially honeydews).

{{gwi:52643}}

{{gwi:52644}}

{{gwi:52645}}

{{gwi:52644}}

{{gwi:52646}}

Comments (8)