SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nchomegarden

Planting medium for veggies over grass clippings

nchomegarden
9 years ago

Copying my post from the soil forum...
I have an area in my backyard which slopes down - about 4 feet down over 7 feet. I have filled it up with grass clippings and fall leaves and straw bales over the last 3-4 years. So now there is about 2 feet of grass clippings, leaves and straw there. I also dump old used potting mix, weeds and other organic matter in there.
I would like to plant some squash plants - zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins there.
Here is what I was thinking of doing -
I have some large tubs from which I can remove the bottoms and sink them in the leaves/grass clippings mix. And then fill the tubs with potting mix and plant the squash in these tubs. I was wondering what I could use to fill the tubs - miracle grow potting mix? That would be the most expensive. Any other ideas?
I have seen Black Kow claiming that you could plant veggies directly into the compost bags. May be I could fill the tubs with it?
Underneath the grass clippings is all clay. And I would like to avoid having to dig all the way down to mix it all - hence the idea of planting in tubs sunk in and filled with potting mix, surrounded by the decomposing grass and other organic matter.

Comment (1)