SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeembeaux

tomatoes with Mosaic virus/tobacco virus

jeembeaux
10 years ago

This year I ordered some heirloom tomato plants from a company with a good reputation. The plants came in looking fine, but one of them had leaves that looked strange... curling in a weird way. I attributed it to it being an heirloom that I wasn't familiar with. I got the plants in February and kept them in my hydroponic grow room under metal halide and fluorescent lights. They did fine, and I planted them around Easter.

Now, several of the plants have that strange curl and "fern" look to them - tiny leaflets, spindly leaves. Some of the plants also have black spots on the leaves with halos around the leaves. In some areas, there is bright green/yellow discoloration on parts of the leaves. All of these symptoms indicate the two viruses I mentioned in the subject.

I removed two of the plants from my raised beds. These are new beds with new soil I made myself based on the Square Foot Gardening recipe.

I know there's basically no cure for this condition, but I'm wondering how badly this will affect my harvest?

I'm also wondering about using the same bed next year for tomato plants, as I've read that the virus can exist in the soil for 100 years.

Questions:
Am I stuck with never using this soil for tomatoes again?
How badly will my harvest suffer?
Is moving the plants to a different part of my back yard sufficient, or do I need to destroy them?
How likely is it that all my tomato plants are infected? I have around a dozen plants and hate to think that I need to destroy them all. They're all growing well.

Thanks!

Comments (10)