SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakaroni

Backyard re-landscaping due to water logging

bakaroni
15 years ago

Our backyard, which currently has grass, slopes towards the house and in winter, when it rains around here, the backyard can get quite slushy. Water also seeps into the crawl-space under the house. This is what I'm most worried about, and it's providing the impetus for us to consider redoing our backyard.

{{gwi:45427}}

{{gwi:45428}}

{{gwi:45429}}

{{gwi:45430}}

Here are a few broad ideas we're toying with:

1. fill up half the yard (right up to the edge of the sun room) with concrete, cobblestones or some other non-porous paved surface and direct rain water falling on it into drains.

2. Build a pergola over the paved surface to provide shade and privacy to the house. Plant grapes to grow over the pergola. I love the idea of spending a cool evening under the shade of grape vines.

3. Build a raised bed around the fences and plant fast growing bushes to provide further privacy.

4. Between the paved area and the fence, take the grass out and convert it to a flower and vegetable garden.

And now some questions:

1. What should I do to ensure that water from the unpaved areas don't seep underground into the crawl space?

2. Any specific suggestions on what to pave with?

3. For the raised beds against the fences, how can we build one without cutting down the couple of trees that exist along one of the fences? Can we simply subsume these tress within the raised bed? One of the trees is Asian Pear and the other is Champaka.

4. Any suggestions for the layout most welcome. At the moment cost is a secondary consideration, the primary being keeping water away, creating some privacy and leaving some space for flowers and vegetables.

TIA.

Comments (4)