SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Past Last Frost Date, but...& Cloche ???s

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

some plants like really warm weather. So if I plant out some hot peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes, and nights still dip into the low 40s, will they be ok or do I need to protect them until night temps are much higher? I don't care if they don't do much until it warms up, but I don't want them to croak on me after putting so much effort into growing them from seed to get particular varieties.

I have a three season porch I am going to harden them off in (it faces south so gets good strong sun) and days that are nice I'll put them outside and put them back on the porch for the night, but I'm new to eggplant and hot peppers and don't know how touchy they are. The tomatoes I have much more experience with, but I usually don't plant them out until June - I'd like to get them out of the house and in their permanent spots if I possibly can!!

As far as cloches go, I was told I can save gallon plastic milk jugs, cut off the very bottoms and slip them over plants. I would take the tops off during the day to let excess heat escape, then put the lids back on for the night. Does this really work? How early can you plant outside and use the cloches successfully? I have in the past or will in the future direct sow pole/bush beans, cukes, lettuce, spinach, peas, parsely & cilantro, but if I can get some extra growth in for my seedling tomatoes, hot & sweet peppers, eggplant, & zucchini, it would be great. I've never used waterwalls or cloches or row covers or plastics or anything like that to get a jump on the season. I'm wondering how successful most people are with these methods and if it's really worth the extra effort covering/uncovering, capping, uncapping things.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor