SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minal_gw

Plant vegetables in between landscaping, possible?

13 years ago

Hello, I am a first time home buyer and the old owners have done some beautiful landscaping around the house. I would like to plant some vegetable plants, but dont want to ruin the landscaping too much. Is it possible to plant vegetables around the bushes/shrubs?

Below are pictures I am planning to plant in:

{{gwi:51892}}

{{gwi:51893}}

{{gwi:51894}}

{{gwi:51895}}

{{gwi:51896}}

I had posted a similar post earlier and had a follow up question. I was first going to remove the woodchips/mulch and the black plastic underneath, cultivate/dig the soil and then plant my vegetable plants and place back the plastic and mulch.

However someone mentioned that instead of removing everything, I can just cut holes in the plastic, remove 2feet deep soil from each hole, mix the soil with fertilized garden soil/compost and then place the vegetable plants in the opening. Would that work for vegetable plants? or just flowers? Wouldn't vegetable plants need more loose soil in the surrounding areas? If this would work, it would save me a lot of time.

I am a little confused as to how to go about this, whether to dig up the whole area or just small areas enough to place my vegetable plants. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Today I am going to buy a tiller and then decide how to go about this.

thanks,

Minal

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath