SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylatitude

New home w/irrigation system, how do I plan my gardens?

LadyLatitude
12 years ago

Hello! I need some advice!

I just moved in with my fiance and he has a beautiful house with a HUGE yard. It's a bit more than .25 acre. We want to get married in the backyard (YAY backyard wedding!). So, I'm eager to start making the backyard pretty! I've always grown plants, but only in pots, so I guess I'm a newbie to gardening outdoors in the ground.

The situation is a huge yard with two tiny trees and nothing else BUT, already has a sprinkler/irrigation system. Aren't most watering systems installed after gardens or landscaping is done? How do I proceed? I know where the heads are, but not the pipes. My fiance is REALLY nervous about me going to town making flower beds and retaining walls without us knowing where things are. Is there a way to find out? Is it okay to dig to a certain depth w/o knowing where the pipes are? Is there a way to find out where they are? Should we just build flower beds around the current location of the heads?

We are willing to invest in our home and have a yard that's pretty and inviting, but we would like to keep it on the cheaper side of life. I just want some advice on how to get started w/o hitting a pipe or causing an expensive repair.

Thanks!

sophie

Comments (3)