SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Incredible Chemical-Free Aphid Control!

sunnibel7 Md 7
13 years ago

Does it sound like I'm going to try to sell you something? Sorry, nope. I am just feeling incredibly enthusiastic about this! But I'll try to go easy on the exclamation points. Back in January I mentioned that I got a book full of "olde time-y" garden tips, and one of those tips was how to get rid of aphids and other soft-bodied insects using just hot water. So I went out to my darling lettuces the other day only to find... APHIDS! And a lot of them. The plants were still looking fine, but it wasn't going to be long before most of my crop was ruined, so I decided that I had little to lose if this experiment didn't pan out.

I got my zep sprayer (good quality plant mister) and filled it with 140 degree water (book said 130, but it was chilly evening and I thought the bottle might cool too much on the way out) and went and gave a good spray or two to each infested area. I used the stream setting, not mist. It certainly knocked the little buggers off and they had that dead bug look about them. I set aside one leaf to bring in and keep and eye on, then treated all the plants. That was the evening before last. The plants look fine. The aphids remain gone. The dead ones on the "control" leaf remained dead all night. So, I'm satisfied enough to try this again!

I think there are certain common-sense precautions to take if anyone decides to do this too. Don't use water that's too much hotter than 140. Use a thermometer held in the middle of the pot of water that you heat to measure the temp. Half-fill the bottle so you don't overheat your hands. It might be best to do this at a cool time of day, but I'm not sure. Only allow hot water to contact the plant leaves for 1-2 seconds at a time. If the plant feels rather hot to touch where you sprayed but there are still bugs, move to another spot and come back to that one in a little bit. If you are worried, try it in a small area first until you feel confident you won't cause damage.

Anyhow, this was recommended for caterpillars, aphids, and mites, but not hard-bodied beetles. It might work on such nasties as potato beetle larva, though. And it has to be the cheapest, most "pure" way of dealing with aphids I've ever come across! So even if it doesn't turn out to work for everything or every plant, I'm pretty psyched about it!

Cheers!

Sunni

Comments (9)